- Use your chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) solution the night before and the morning of your surgery.
- For emergency medical information about CHG, call 800.328.0026
- Before taking your shower, have a clean towel and clean clothing ready.
- With your usual shampoo, wash and rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Rinse your body well enough to remove all shampoo residue.
- Wet a clean cloth with warm water.
- Turn the water off.
- Apply small portions of the CHG solution to the wet cloth and wash your entire body from the neck down, focusing on your surgery site.
- Turn the water on and rinse the CHG solution completely off your body.
- Dispose of or launder your washcloth after using it.
- Pat yourself dry with a clean towel; do not apply powders, deodorants, or lotions.
- Put on clean clothes after showering.